This Tumblr just...gets you.
Calm. Your fucking selves.
Are we serious right now? Because he said someone should’ve thought something through and not used violence as an immediate answer, he is now a misogynistic, sexist prick?
The woman in question was walking by herself at night on a darkened street when the man behind her looked at an intoxicated woman across the street and said, “Fucking cunt, I’d take her into the back alley and show her what I’m made of. She won’t even see it coming” and laughed.
“Thinking something through” is not an option in an instance where a potential rapist is alone with a woman in the middle of the night. This woman acted to protect another women from a direct threat of sexual assault.
Pull your head out of your ass and stop defending your precious YouTube celebrity.
It’s vital that we call out the problematic nature of comments and beliefs like the ones Tyler copied and pasted into multiple inboxes and posted on his own blog for everyone to see. We cannot let the status of a person or our personal feelings about them prevent us from calling out poorly veiled misogyny when we see it, especially when said misogynistic language contributes to rape culture. Apologism and turning a blind eye only sweeps the problem under the rug, or worse, exacerbates it. We do celebrities, big name fans, friends, family and acquaintances a disservice when we ignore or defend their ignorance because we believe they mean well. If we believe so strongly in their good intentions, we should educate them and give them the opportunity to prove they’re the good, well-meaning people we believe them to be.
- His “Why Diversity Sucks” video (gif set of highlights here)
- Thinks calling out the racist stereotyping of Asian people is racist (in response to backlash over AA selling Rice Paddy Hats)
- Thinks American Apparel can’t be held responsible for selling Rice Paddy Hats
- “King Jong Il is dead. No longer ronery.”
- Believes in reverse racism
- Tells critic to shut up when confronted about racist “sassy black woman” accent (example of said “sassy black woman” accent)
- Condemns Chick-Fil-A but shops at Urban Outfitters
- Uses transphobic slurs (also here and here)
- then condemns Azaelia Banks for using queerphobic slurs
- Sexually harassed the One Direction boys (but thinks shipping real people is wrong and they deserve respect)
- Says hating someone really means you hate yourself but zealously hates Katy Perry (also this)